The short hood is to long! Part one noted that the Proto 2000 SW9/1200 power chassis was one foot to long, so somewhere the superstructure (new body shell) of the modeled DEY-2 would have to be one foot longer too.
This one foot discrepancy was split up between the cab and the long hood, adding six scale inches to each. Originally I thought that splitting the size difference equally between the three body components, the long hood, short hood and the cab would be best to make the new shell come out proportionately correct. The size of the roof top radiator fan shroud that was being planed for use dictated that at least six scale inches would have to be added to the length of the short hood so I decided to add the same to the cab too and leave the long hood the correct scale length. I did this because the prototype short hood and the cab are the same length therefore making them the same length on the model would be the best proportionately.
As a starting point for re-siding the short hood, not to much is left of the Atlas hood in the photo below. The hood front was removed when shortening the hood in the beginning and a large cutout in each side for the radiator air intake shutters to be inset has been opened up. The white styrene pieces in the photos are to reinforce the sides and be a gluing surface for the radiator shutter assembly, these are glued to the inside of the shell. The slot to receive the interlocking tab that locates the cab to the hood can be seen in the second photo.
Click to enlarge photos
Below is the radiator intake shutter assembly. A piece of stock sized clapboard siding that is the closest match to the number of louvers needed was used to represent the shutters, four pieces of strip styrene was used to make the surrounding frame. Not seen in this photo, a slot to receive the sand filler hatches was cut into the front edge of both sides in this step before any of the re-siding styrene was added.
The short hood was re-sided using the same materials and methods as the long hood shown in part 2. The components of the sand filler hatches can be seen in this photo, it is basically a four sided box made with strip styrene and a fifth piece scored on the back then bent to an angle without breaking it in half, then inserted into the box.
In the bottom photo, two strips of styrene were glued to the inside reinforcement piece to shim out the shutter assembly to be flush with the sides.
One of the most difficult steps in building this model was drilling the series of holes in top of the frame surrounding the shutters. I found it very difficult to hand drill these holes in a straight line and evenly spaced to one and other. Several attempts were made before I was able to get two pieces I was remotely happy with. The holes are one short of the prototypes 14 and can be seen in the photo of the almost completed hood assembly below.
Below are two photos of the completed short hood and cab together. The short hood has two bolt on service panels located on the front panel, they are not seen in these photos but will be shown in later in this series.
The three components that make up the DEY-2 body shell are shown interlocked together in the photos below.
The gray radiator fan shroud on top of the short hood in the above photos is from an Alco RS-3 model and will be described in the next segment along with a look at the details needed to finish this model.